Friday, March 16, 2018

Souvenirs... Worth more than Cash

"Memories they can't be boughten
They can't be won at carnivals for free
Well it took me years
To get those souvenirs
And I don't know how they slipped away from me"
 souvenirs"

Visiting with my daughter this evening. I drove her to an AA meeting. After the meeting we talked about her Grannie and her Granpa. Today is 13 years that the Cancer took my Mom. I miss that old lady. Her sense of humour is lost now. Same  with my Dad. My girl was talking about missing my Dad and spoke of a few memories she has of him; good ones. 
We've been talking about her battle with addiction. The Addiction is a monster that is for sure. I have been encouraging to write about her experience. She is battling with the regrets and the memories of what she has endured and has done. So at a counselling she was advised to start her journal and if its hard to confront her memories to focus on the good ones, no matter how small. 

I keep thinking about my own life and the mistakes, the regrets, the ugly but also the good and the very good in my life. I have some ugly things that have happened. Still afraid to share them. These are souvenirs that I have and carry with me. 

There are souvenirs we get everyday. Like today, I met a very nice vehicle. Yes a vehicle. The vehicle is a Vixen; born in 1986. Vixen is traveling all over the place. He even has nice folks writing about him.  Vixen is the coolest grooviest vehicle I have come across and met.  

I also met a beautiful couple of people today. It was the Feast Cafe on Ellice Avenue in Winnipeg. Feast Cafe is a nice little restaurant owned and operated by Christa Bruneau-Guenther, Ojibwe from Peguis First Nation.  I went to have lemon tea there as I waited for my girl.  Native Reporter Colleen Rajotte was having some Bison there. I believe it was Bison because Bison is one of the specialty dishes served there. I have seen Colleen on television for some time now. Lately she is in the news as one of the 60's Scoop Adopted. The government of Canada is trying to end the legacy of the "getting rid of the Indian" initiative the government actively pursued. Taking Indian kids away from parents and adopting them out to non-Indian parents was one of those attempted methods of getting rid of Indians. Now a lot of those kids adopted out to non-Indian have been finding their way home, to their community to their family. Anyway Colleen Rajotte and the  60 Scoop Indians are not going to stay quiet. So it was a good souvenir I got with meeting her. 

It is quite something isn't it? We are gaining memories every single day. The souvenirs along with those memories will be something we can carry for a while. It takes a while to get those souvenirs just like John Prine sings about. 


Let's make sure those souvenirs are worth something. 

1986 Vixen 
Colleen Rajotte
My Souvenir is my Heart Medicine











No comments:

Post a Comment

Knowledge Keeper and Knowledge Giver

There are many beautiful things in the world. Of those beautiful things are youth. How beautiful everything and everyone is when they are yo...