Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Littlest Birds Sing the Prettiest Songs

The walk to school was no more than two kilometres.  It was an easy walk with a paved highway and gravel shoulders.  For some reason the logic is to walk facing traffic, but I never did. If you wanted to get a ride you walked the way traffic was going.  This day was no different. I never sought out a ride because it was nice just to walk. You also always ran into someone walking as well. The Indian Reserve was neighbour to a bustling town. The Town was rich and filled with White people. There was this Old White man in a big car and he frequently drove through the Reserve. He stopped all the time and gave people, children a ride to the town. He was known for his willingness to give Indians a ride.

The car stopped for me. I wasn't trying to hitch a ride. I was no more than a kilometre from home. It was an odd sight, two Old White men in the car, with one sitting in the back seat as the other drove. The man in the back seat opened the door and said "You want a ride? Get in."  I was not sure if I needed a ride or not. You normally do not say no to a ride. Thing was, I was close to home and this was weird.  This was not the normal White man who gave us rides. I hesitated with the offer of a ride. I finally stammered out a quiet "no thanks."  The man didn't close the door, he just looked at me with his smile. I stood still. Finally he closed the door and away they went, towards the town.

It really never dawned on me, the little voice in my head might have saved me. Who knows what could have happened had I accepted the ride. After all you have to remember it was not normal to say no to the White man. What took place was the little voice in my head sang a song of warning.  I will tease about what may have happened: raped up the bum, made to do oral pleasure on those pissy old men and maybe even killed. In reality you never know. Maybe those were just two old men, who were generous and kind with no thought of malice.

I will never know, but you know what thank the Birds for singing their songs of warning. Everyone should listen to the songs of warning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Knowledge Keeper and Knowledge Giver

There are many beautiful things in the world. Of those beautiful things are youth. How beautiful everything and everyone is when they are yo...