Saturday, April 14, 2018

I Just Stood There. Did Nothing

I am the kind of person who will talk to anyone. I will also be willing to address an issue if I see it. Sometimes though I just stand there and do nothing.

A friend of mine from Alderville First Nation is a blues musician. He spent a number of years in Winnipeg, Manitoba and gained a following at the local venues. He came back for a visit in Winnipeg and was booked at a local place, Times Changed Night Club. I missed him and wanted to go visit and listen to him play. I went and listen to his set. It was getting kind of late and I didn't get to talk with him. So I stood near the entrance of the club. Not right by the door but closer to the windows. I noticed a group of Neechies, about five of them at the door. The club owner went to the door and told them no. So they just went on their way. I was looking at I knew right there the owner refused them entrance because they were Indian. I was going to go and say something right there but hesitated. The moment had passed and I looked over at the my friend playing on stage. I decide to leave. I wonder to this day about my actions. Or rather my lack of actions. Its not like I haven't spoken up in other instances. This time I just stood there and did nothing. Was I thinking that I didn't want to upset the situation or what was it? No it wasn't be afraid to say something. I just stood there and didn't do nothing. I wonder if the owner knows he was seen being a racist? I mean does he even know my friend is a Neechie? I mean my friend and I don't look Neechie. Maybe  the owner doesn't know the Blues player, who has stood on his stage many many times is  Neechie? If he knew would he have treated the Neechies who came to his door differently? The Neechies who came to his door could be easily identified as Indian. Was that it? Those would be patrons looked like they were from the Reserve.

In any case it still bothers me to this day. There should be no time when I should just stand there and do nothing. At least I hope there shouldn't be.

I saw this video today and it was at a Starbucks in Philadelphia.  Two Black men were waiting for their friend and didn't order anything. I have done at many restaurants, just sat around waiting before ordering. The staff called the police, the police came and arrested the men. There was no being loud, no altercation of any kind, no threat to the public; just two men waiting for a meeting. The man they were waiting, a White man came just as the two were arrested. His arrival didn't change anything. The police had made up their minds to arrest. A Black officer was also there. It looks like he was a non-factor, he was insignificant in the situation. The arresting officers just arrested them, and the police Chief said they didn't do anything wrong. The Black officer was like me, he just stood there and did nothing.

There is a lot of that going, a lot of just standing there and doing nothing.

There is also many, many folks out there who are not just standing there and doing nothing. They are standing up, speaking up, making a difference. There are a lot of places, a lot of doors being closed on people, a lot of people being treated badly, a lot of bad things going on. We need more people like that, willing to stand there and do something.

Syria, - Palestine, - President Trump, - Amazon Forest, - Puerto Rico, -  Sexual Abuse, - World.

I am glad there are people who are standing up and doing something.

Thank you.  Kitchi Miigwetch. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Knowledge Keeper and Knowledge Giver

There are many beautiful things in the world. Of those beautiful things are youth. How beautiful everything and everyone is when they are yo...