Friday, July 17, 2009

Aniin - welcome July 13, 2009

Welcome to my first attempt at the blogging thing.
As you may have guessed from my blog title, I am an Ojibwe from the Fort Alexander Indian Reserve, also know as Sagkeeng First Nation. I am just about fifty years old; born in 1960. Wow! That was a great time to be alive. Before I get into juicy posts from the confessions of an Ojibwe let me begin with a brief background and a some proud Indian rhethoric.

Growing up in a Manitoba Indian Reserve was a great experience that has made me very proud of my heritage, my family and my community. I have seen a lot of changes to the community and the people since I was growing up in the sixties. It's funny though, I am very comfortable in how I grew up, but I am quite sure that I would not bring up my kids in the same community. Weird I know. I have 4 kids, 2 boys and 2 girls. Now I have two grandchildren, a 2 year old girl and 2 week old boy.
One of my sons has passed on. He took his own life in August 2005. It has been the hardest thing to come to grips with. I lost my mind and am slowly recovering.
Usually I joke, laugh and tease to keep going. If you didn't know my background you wouldn't know I barely make it through the day.

Let me leave you with a story from one of the guys in the reserve.
Seems these guys were having beers at Clarence's place. Clarence was playing his role in front of the guys as the master of the house. He loudly says to his wife, "get me a beer before I give you the Nine!" She quickly replies, "That's not Nine, I've had Nine before and that's not Nine!"
From there the party was broken up with Clarence and his wife exchanging barbs and other unfriendly gestures.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kichi meegwech dmarks.

    It is what I suspect a place to put thoughts to screen ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and i do the same thing as "Clarence and his wife". But we are joking. Something like the other day my wife asked me if I wanted a "pop", and I said, I'd rather have a tv dinner. Everyone is still laughing over that one.......Good blog, I found yours like I find everyone else's, either through blogger buzz, or reading the comments, then checking out that person's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you Rich and hope you continue to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I've spent the last couple hours enjoying your posts, which I found from a search for "can you drive to pukatawagan" so I wanted to see your very first post. I read lots of blogs, and I also write a bunch, and I just wanted to say yours is my new favorite. You're a great writer. Thank you for being so prolific. I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Thanks a lot McMichaelangelo. Been slowing down this past few months. Have a few in draft but been lazy. i really appreciate the comments from folks. Just the other day I finally made 100 followers. You have a great day. Steve

    ReplyDelete

Knowledge Keeper and Knowledge Giver

There are many beautiful things in the world. Of those beautiful things are youth. How beautiful everything and everyone is when they are yo...