Sunday, August 30, 2026

Doesn't It Disappoint When an Indigenous Person you Meet doesn't fit the Description

 I was at a Powwow in Fisher River over 20 years ago. The MC of the Powwow introduced him to the crowd. For some reason, I was there in front of the stand to greet him. We touched noses. He was White looking just like me. I remember this because he didn't look like the Maori folks we know. Needless to say, I was a little bit disappointed. I wanted him to look like the big brown tall handsome Maori folks of Aotearoa. I imagine he was disappointed to be greeted by me as well. In any case there were loads, and I mean loads of real Indian folks around for him to later meet. Powwows are known to have lots of Indians, and many are real Injuns. 

Speaking of Indians, I visit a lot with them in the Reserve (which I belong to) and it is fun, and frustrating at the same time. The Elders (not just Traditional Elders but old folks) are wonderful in sharing stories, knowledge and viewpoints. I also get to visit with the trouble folk as well, the ones living in addiction, specifically meth and crack. 

In Winnipeg there is a homeless situation where the people (mostly white folks) are appalled, disgusted, and angry that the homeless are messing up places. I get that for sure. You drive down some streets where the homeless congregate and there are tents, garbage, shopping carts, bicycle frames all over the places. Not to mention the discarded syringes on the grounds (like playgrounds in some cases and public parks). So people don't like that kind of thing. Me, I don't like it but I am not sure what could be done about it. 

You see people are funny in some ways. Not the laughing funny but peculiar. Like how my friend was; a smart person capable of dialog with anyone, even kings and queens. He had a habit. The habit was he was comfortable with the drink. He would be sober, doing great things and then he would sabotage all he was accomplishing. He would self sabotage himself because it was uncomfortable "winning." His default was to the street life, the drink, the pills. It was how he was. He knew the taste of winning, but he was more familiar with the taste of losing. Just like how some guys thrive in jail. 

I have met many people who have served time in jail. Whether they deserved or not, I don't know. I used to tease my friend who was in jail many times, there was research study which determined ugly people got more sentence time than good looking people. I guess he got lots of time in jail. Oh anyways, the common thing about jail folk, is they never accept it was them who got them into jail. They say things like they are "turning the key on us." They say this about anyone in the system, from Indigenous guards to the Elders who work there to help them. It's a thing. "Our brothers are in there, it's a brotherhood." Meanwhile, some of them are killing our own people but yeah those are the brothers. 

Manitoba has an Anishinaabe Premier. Who would have thought it. I mean Manitoba is not known for their love of Indigenous folk, or anyone of Colour for that matter. So having a political party choose an Indian (not India Indian cause that has happened in Canada and even a Woman too) to head their party. He, the Indian got elected by the conservative landscape called Manitoba. And get this, he looks Indian. I mean his Mom is white  (not disrespect intended, I have met her and she is a smart strong person) but he has the looks and colour of his Dad. I think all the Indians (well not all, many call him a political prostitute) are waiting for him to do Indian stuff. I mean do something for Indians within his political purview. Like, I don't know follow the law of Point of Sales tax for Indians. Where you purchase something and it is sales tax exempt. It is law after all. Indians may not realize the Premier is leader of  the whole province and the province is mostly White. So essentially white rules the kingdom, despite who is sitting on the throne. Even if the guy is fitting the description of an Indian. That means, the Indian Premier, lord of the manor, the head honcho, the big cheese, the grandest chief, is just a minion for the true rulers of the nest. Indians should not expect anything for them really. The other thing is why should we beg a lower government for stuff, we are sovereign nations after all. 

Fitting the description is a good thing. It is not the only thing.

Joe TwoRivers - The Forest Rangers TV show
Not an Indian 
Michael Zenon of the Ukraine 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Doesn't It Disappoint When an Indigenous Person you Meet doesn't fit the Description

 I was at a Powwow in Fisher River over 20 years ago. The MC of the Powwow introduced him to the crowd. For some reason, I was there in fron...